Who doesn’t like chocolate? Enjoy this impressive tower at your next birthday celebration.
Tip: If you use paper cups in the muffin pan, remove them from cupcakes before assembling the tower.
Makes 12 cupcakes; Serving size: 1 cupcake
- preheat oven to 350 F (180 C)
- 12 cup muffin pan, lightly greased or lined with paper cups
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules (or 1 tbsp brewed coffee)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 2 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp butter or canola oil
- 2 tbsp 2% milk
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda;
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer on high speed, beat brown sugar, eggs and oil for 3 minutes. Add cocoa, coffee, and vanilla and beat for 1 minute. Stir in flour mixture alternately with yogurt, making two additions of flour and one of yogurt.
- Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin cups. Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched. Let cool in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
- Icing: Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar, coconut, cocoa, butter and milk. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- On a large serving plate, arrange cupcakes in a tower, with four on the base, four on the second level, three on the next level and 1 on top. Pour icing over tower. Serve immediately.
Nutrients per serving:
- Calories: 237
- Fat: 13.5 g
- Saturated fat: 3.3 g
- Sodium: 102 mg (4% DV)
- Carbohydrate: 27 g
- Fiber: 1 g (4% DV)
- Protein: 4 g
- Calcium: 64 mg (6% DV)
- Iron: 1.4 mg (10% DV)
Diabetes Food Choice Values
- 2 carbohydrates
- 2-1/2 fats
– from the cookbook, “Dietitians of Canada Cook”, by Mary Sue Waisman, Msc, RD. Recipe writer: Caroline Dubeau, Dietitian, Ontario