- Serves: 5 servings
- Costs: Approximately $1.75 per serving
- 5.5 fl ounces/156 mL tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- The freshly squeezed juice of 1 lime, or 2 teaspoons bottled lime juice
- 1 medium-sized green pepper (about 1 cup), diced
- 1/3 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup sliced green olives, drained
- 19 fl ounce/540 mL/2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 large steak tomato or 2 medium-sized (about 2/3 to 1 cup), seeded and diced (see instructions below)
- 1 ripe avocado, pitted, diced and peeled
- The freshly squeezed juice of 1 lime, (about 2 tablespoons)
- Corn Tostitos chips, scoops or rounds (the small ones)
- 1-1/3 cups shredded, part-skim mozzarella and cheddar mix
Stir the dressing ingredients together and refrigerate until needed.
Place the green pepper, green onions and olives into a large mixing bowl. Rinse the beans in a colander, and then set aside to allow to drain. Slice the tomato in half, remove the stem, and scoop out the seeds with a tablespoon. Chop the tomato and then add to the salad. Toss the sliced avocado with lemon juice in a separate small bowl, before adding to the salad. Toss the salad with the dressing.
Cover the salad with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend.
Spread 1-1/2 cups of tostitos in a layer over each individual serving plate. Place 2/3 cup of the salad in dollops over the tostitos. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup shredded cheese.
Heat each individual serving in the microwave for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the salad is warm throughout.
Calories: 410 per serving; fat content: 14.5 g
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen