Tossing the cut-up strips of tortilla with the lime juice not only flavors them but also keeps them from being tough and crumbly. If you like, the tortilla strips can be seasoned with 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder (in addition to the lime juice) before baking.
Makes 4 servings I Hands-on time: 20 minutes I Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 whole wheat tortillas (taco size), halved and cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces sirloin or flank steak, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. In a medium bowl, toss the tortilla strips with 2 tablespoons of the lime juice and 2 teaspoons of the oil. Transfer to a baking sheet and bake until crisps, tossing once, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large nonstick saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the remaining 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add the onion, bell peppers and oregano, and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the broth, bring to a simmer, and cook for 5 minutes to blend the flavours. Add the steak, and cook until just cooked through, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice.
- Divide the tortilla strips and cilantro among 4 soup bowls and ladle the soup on top.
Per 1-1/2 cup servings: 169 calories, 16g protein, 8g fat (1.5g saturated), 5g fiber, 35mg calcium, 44mg vitamin c, 12g carbohydrate, 210 mg sodium.
– from the book, “The Digest Diet Cookbook” by Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of the Reader’s Digest.