You can make the dressing well ahead of time. (The longer it sits the more garlicky it will get.) In fact, everything except the lettuce and avocado can be prepped ahead of time. If you have leftover chicken, use it for this recipe; you’ll need about 1 cup shredded.
Makes 4 servings I Hands-on time: 15 minutes I Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup fat-free yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 6 slices thin-cut turkey bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- 10 cups chopped crisp lettuce (such as iceberg, romaine or leaf lettuce)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 large skinless, boneless chicken breast (8 ounces), cooked and shredded
- 1 Hass avocado, sliced
- 4 hard-boiled egg whites, cubed
- 1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat Mexican blend cheese
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- To make the dressing: In a screw-top jar, combine the yogurt, oil, lime juice, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic andf the water. Cover and shake well:
- To make the salad: In a medium nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Drain on peper towels.
- For each individual salad, make a bed of lettuce on a large plate. Arrange the tomatoes, chicken, avocado, egg whites, bacon, and cheese in separate groups over the greens. Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Divide evenly, drizzling the dressing over the salads.
Per serving: 269 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated), 5.5g fiber, 154mg calcium, 30mg vitamin C, 14g carbohydrate, 438mg sodium.
– from the book, “The Digest Diet Cookbook” by Liz Vaccariello, Editor-in-Chief of the Reader’s Digest.