If you prefer a thicker soup, add 1 tbsp of flour to the onion and garlic mixture before adding the stock.
6 servings I Preparation time: 1 hour I Difficulty: Average
- 60 ml (1/4 cup) olive oil
- 8 medium onions, sliced in fine rounds
- 3 or 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1.5 litres (6 cups) beef stock
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried marjoram
- 6 sliced whole wheat bread
- 200 g (1-1/3 cups) Gruyere cheese or cheddar, grated
- Preheat the oven broiler.
- Saute the onions in the olive oil, stirring constantly until lightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Pour in the stock. Season with salt and pepper to taste, and add the parsley and marjoram. Bring to a boil and let simmer for 20 minutes uncovered.
- Meanwhile toast the bread in the oven or toaster. Remove the crusts and cut the bread slices to fit oven-proof soup bowls
- Pour the soup into the bowls, cover with a slice of bread, and top with the grated cheese.
- Grill under the top broiler of the oven until the cheese bubbles and turns a golden colour.
– from the book, “Cooking with Foods that Fight Cancer”, by Richard Beliveau, Ph.D., and Denis Gingras. Ph.D