Delicious vegetables and garlic combine with fluffy eggs and egg whites to make a simple, satisfying, and savory meal that will start off any day right! Protein-packed and rich in complex carbohydrates from the vegetables, this is a tasty way to get some valuable nutrition.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup sliced button or cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons filtered water
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup torn spinach leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 large whole eggs
- 4 large egg whites
- Heat olive oil or coconut oil in a small frying pan over medium heat.
- Saute onion for 1 minute. Add mushrooms and water, and saute until musrhooms are softened, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Sprinkle mixture with garlic powder and add spinach leaves and tomatoes, stirring constantly.
- Whisk together eggs and egg whites and pour over the sauteed vegetables.
- Immediately begin pushing the outer edges into the center with a spatula for onte turn around the whole pan. Let omelet set for 2 minutes.
- Gently slide the spatula under omelet and quickly flip.
- Continue cooking omelet for another 3 to 5 minutes, or until no longer runny.
Per serving: Calories: 357 I Fat: 21 g I Protein: 30 g I Sodium: 375 mg I Fiber: 2 g I Carbohydrates: 10 g I Sugar: 5 g
– from the book, “The Everything Guide to Gut Health,” by Lindsay Boyers, CHNC