This is a creamy baked rice pudding with a difference, being subtly flavoured with lemon. It is wonderful served warm or cold with fresh strawberries.
- 50 g/2 oz/1/4 cup short grain white rice
- 600 ml/1 pint/2-1/2 cups semi-skimmed (low fat) milk
- 25 g/1 oz/2 tbsp caster (superfine) sugar
- Finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 15 g/1/2 oz/1 tbsp butter, cut into small pieces
- Pared orange and lemon rind, to decorate
- 225 g/8 oz prepared fresh fruit, such as strawberries or pineapple
- 90 ml/6 tbsp reduced fat creme fraiche (optional)
- Lightly grease a 900 ml/1-1/2 pint/3-3/4 cup ovenproof dish. Add the rice and pour in the milk, then set aside for about 30 minutes, to allow the rice to soften a little. Preheat the oven to 150 C/300 F/Gas 2.
- Add the caster sugar, grated lemon rind and butter to the rice and milk and stir gently to mix. Bake for 2 to 2-1/2 hours until the top of the pudding is lightly browned.
- Decorate with pared orange and lemon rind and serve warm or cold with the fresh fruit.
- If serving cold, remove and discard the skin, then chill. Fold in the creme fraiche just before serving, if liked.
- Energy 220 calories
- Fat, total 8.8 g
- Saturated fat 3.9 g
- Protein 6.8 g
- Carbohydrate 30.4 g
- Sugar, total 19.7 g
- Fiber NSP 0.7 g
- Sodium 121 mg
– from the book, “The Gluten-Free Cookbook,” by Anne Sheasby