Mexican food cooked at home is quite different then what is found in most Mexican restaurants outside of Mexico, which is usually adapted from Tex-Mex recipes. Recipes prepared at home include stews, tacos, quesadillas, tamales and barbecues.
Many recipes that we know as Mexican are actually recipes created with northern Mexican and Anglo influences. Examples of Tex-Mex recipes include nachos, burritos, fajitas, chile con carne and chimichangas.
Street foods found in Mexico include tacos, quesadillas, tamales, tortas and soups. As well, Mexico is influenced by American cuisine; street foods such as hamburgers, hot dogs and pizzas are available at food stands side-by-side with Mexican street food in Mexico.
Sweet breads include bolilos and conchas and can be found in Mexican bakeries. Churros with hot chocolate is a favourite Mexican dessert, (which is an adaption of the American donut with a chocolate sauce for dipping).
- 1 large green pepper, (about 2 cups), medium-dice
- Canola oil as needed
- 1 small yellow onion (about 2/3 cup), diced
- 2 teaspoons pickled jalapenos, minced
- 1 lb./450 g lean ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups/12 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup canned red kidney beans, drained
- 2/3 cup frozen corn niblets
- 1 large tomato (about 1-1/2 cups) medium-dice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 220 g multi-grain tortilla chips
- Low-fat (5%-fat) sour cream as needed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella and cheddar cheese mix
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- Saute the green pepper in oil, in a large skillet, for 5 minutes. Add the onion and jalapeno. Cook, covered, for 3 or 4 more minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the ground chicken, oregano, salt and black pepper. Cook, over a moderate heat, for 6 to 8 minutes. Drain any remaining fat.
- Remove the pan from the heat. Add the tomato sauce, kidney beans, corn, tomato and chili powder. Reduce the heat to medium-low. Cook, covered, for 8 to 10 minutes. Stir periodically.
- Place 1 cup of the chicken mixture in the center of each dish. Arrange 2 cups of tortilla chips around the chicken. Dot the chicken and chips with 2 heaping teaspoons of sour cream. Sprinkle the chicken and chips with 1/4 cup shredded cheese, and then 1/8 cup green onions.
- Heat each serving in the microwave, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes, or until the cheese has melted.
Calories: 700 per serving
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen