- Serves: 3, 2 slices each
- Approximate costs per serving: $2.00 per slice; Approximately $12.00 per complete meal
- 3 to 4 roma or plum tomatoes, sliced into thin rounds, ends discarded
- 7.5 ounces/200 grams/2 cups part-skim mozzarella, shredded
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 5 ounces/130 grams pizza sauce
- 1 thin, whole-wheat pizza crust
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil or, 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Slice the tomatoes. Mix the mozzarella with the parmesan.
Spread the pizza sauce over the pizza crust. Sprinkle the pizza with cheese. Arrange the sliced tomatoes close together. Sprinkle over top with oregano.
Bake in the oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden-brown around the edges, and bubbly in the center.
Sprinkle over top with basil. Slice into 8 pieces.
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen