- Servings: 5-10”inch tacos
- Costs: 3.50 per serving, not including the costs of the spices; $17.50 for the entire meal
- 1 large green pepper (about 1-1/2 cups), medium-diced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion, (about 3/4 cup), diced
- .450 kg/1 pound extra-lean ground chicken
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- 1 cup canned tomato sauce
- 2/3 cup frozen corn niblets
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 398 ml/1-1/2 cups canned red kidney beans, drained
- 5, 10-inch corn or multi-grain tortillas
- Low-fat (5%-fat) sour cream, as needed, (about 1/2 cup/4 ounces)
Saute the green pepper in oil, in a large skillet, over a moderate heat. Cook, stirring often, for 6 to 7 minutes, or until the pepper begins to brown. Add the onion and cook for another 3 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent.
Add the ground chicken to the pan. Break the chicken into bits as it cooks. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and black pepper. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until all of the chicken has lost its pink. Drain any remaining fat if needed.
Remove the skillet from the heat. Add to the chicken, the tomato sauce, chili powder and cumin. Rinse and drain the beans in a colander, and then add to the chicken. Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat, for 8 to 10 minutes, to allow the flavors to blend. Stir periodically.
Stack the tortillas on a microwave-safe plate between paper towels. Microwave for 40 seconds to 1 minute, or until the tortillas are warm and pliable.
Spread a heaping tablespoon of sour cream over one half side of a tortilla. Spread 3/4-cup of the filling in a thick line, towards the center of the tortilla. Roll the bottom edge of the tortilla over the filling, fold in the sides of the tortilla, so that both ends of the burrito are tucked in. Lay seam side down. Slice in half. Repeat this step with the remaining burritos.
Calories: 403 calories for each burrito
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen