- Serves: 2 side dish servings
- Approximate costs: $3.50 per serving, $7.00 per complete meal
- 1/2 green pepper, sliced into long thin strips
- Canola oil as needed
- 2 to 4 large white button mushrooms (about 1 cup), sliced thinly
- 1 medium-sized tomato, sliced into thin circles, ends discarded
- 1 piece flat bread
- 2 heaping tablespoons pizza sauce
- 2/3 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese and cheddar
- 2 tablespoons grated light parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 6 to 7 thin pepperoni slices
- 2 tablespoons sliced, pitted, pizza or green olives (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves or parsley flakes
Preheat the oven to 400 F.
Saute the green pepper in oil in a large skillet; cook for 5 minutes over a moderate temperature. Add the mushrooms; cook for 5 to 6 minutes, or until the nushroomsa are browned on both sides. Add the tomato; cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Place the vegetables into a bowl lined with paper towels, to soak up any fat.
Toss the mozzarella and parmesan together.
Spread the pizza sauce on the flatbread. Sprinkle with cheese, and then with oregano. Arrange the sauteed vegetables, olives and pepperoni on top of the pizza.
Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly in the center and golden-brown around the edges.
Sprinkle the hot pizza with basil or parsley. Slice into 4 sections.
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen