Serve this dish on a bed of fluffy brown rice so you don’t miss a single drop of the fantastic sauce.
- 8.5 ounce can pineapple chunks in their own juice, drained with juice reserved
- 1/2 cup jellied cranberry sauce
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate
- 2 tablespoons plain rice vinegar or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 medium green bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Set the pineapple chunks aside. Pour the juice into a small saucepan. Put the saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk the cranberry sauce, brown sugar, orange juice concentrate, vinegar, sherry, soy sauce, and ginger into the juice.
- Put the cornstarch in a cup. Add the water, stirring to dissolve. Whisk into the cranberry mixture. Increase the heat to medium-high. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until thickened, whisking occasionally.
- Stir in the pineapple chunks.
- Put the chicken into an 8-inch square nonstick baking pan. Pour the cranberry sauce mixture over the chicken.
- Bake, covered, for 35 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Stir in the bell pepper. Baste with the sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Calories 275
- Total fat 1.5 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Trans fat 0 g
- Polyunsaturated fat 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 66 mg
- Sodium 123 mg
- Carbohydrates 37 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugars 27 g
- Protein 27 g
Dietary exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 2 carbohydrates, 3 very lean meat
– from the book, “The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition”, from the American Heart Association.