Serve this corn and bell pepper combination on leaf lettuce as a salad, or use small portions as a condiment with ham or turkey.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1/2 medium fresh jalapeno, seeds and rib discarded, minced
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine (regular or nonalcoholic) (optional)
- 6 medium fresh basil leaves, finely chopped, or 1/2 teaspoon dried, crumbled
- 3 or 4 sprigs of cilantro, coarsely snipped, or 1/8 teaspoon dried coriander seeds, crushed
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme, stems discarded, or 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the corn, bell pepper, onion, and jalapeno for about 3 minutes, or until tender. Remove the skillet from the heat. Let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes.
Stir in the remaining ingredients. Transfer to a glass dish. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes to two days.
- Calories 73
- Total fat 2.5 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Trans fats 0 g
- Polyunsaturated fat 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 83 mg
- Carbohydrates 13 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 2 g
Dietary exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
– from the book, “The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition” from the American Heart Association.