Cucumber and mango combine to make a crunchy, sweet salad with an unusual mix of flavors. Serve this refreshing salad with grilled salmon or shrimp.
- 1 large mango, thinly sliced
- 1 large cucumber (English or hothouse, preferred), halved lengthwise and crosswise, seeded, and cut into thin strips
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon seeded and minced fresh jalapeno
- 1 teaspoon grated lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, (extra virgin preferred)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a large bowl, toss the salad ingredients.
In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad. Toss to coat.
For the prettiest salad, cut the mango, cucumber, and bell pepper into slices that are about the same size.
- Calories 62
- Total fat 2.5 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Trans fat 0
- Polyunsaturated fat 0.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0 mg
- Sodium 100 mg
- Carbohydrates 11 g
- Fiber 1 g
- Sugars 8 g
- Protein 1 g
Dietary exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
– from the book, “The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition” from the American Heart Association.