A quick lunch for four, this salad features a mild tuna mixture seasoned with a sweet curry mayonnaise and crunchy celery, water chestnuts, and red bell peppers. Clusters of seedless red grapes make an attractive accompaniment.
- 1/2 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 5-ounce cans very low sodium albacore tuna, packed in water, drained and flaked
- 8-ounce can sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 medium ribs of celery, chopped
- 8 large red-leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 slices pineapple, fresh or canned in their own juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans, dry-roasted
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, sugar, curry powder and cayenne.
- Stir in the remaining tuna salad ingredients.
- Arrange the lettuce leaves on plates. Place the pineapple slices in the center of the lettuce. Top with scoops of tuna salad. Sprinkle with the pecans.
- Calories 245
- Total fat 11 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Trans fat 0 g
- Polyunsaturated fat 6 g
- Monounsaturated fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 41 mg
- Sodium 327 mg
- Carbohydrate 21 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Sugars 12 g
- Protein 20 g
Dietary exchanges: 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable, 1/2 carbohydrate, 2-1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
– from the book, “The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition” from the American Heart Association.