For double the flavor, combine spinach tortellini and frozen chopped spinach. Serve this hearty salad with colorful fresh fruit.
- 9-ounce package fresh spinach-and-cheese tortellini
- 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach
- 1 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 large yellow or red tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Prepare the tortellini using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander. Transfer to a large bowl. Let cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the spinach using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine. Drain well, and squeeze dry.
- Add the spinach and the remaining salad ingredients to the tortellini. Toss gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over the pasta mixture, tossing gently to coat. Serve or cover and refrigerate until needed up to three days.
- Calories 161
- Total fat 5.5 g
- Saturated fat 2 g
- Trans fat 0
- Polyunsaturated fat 1.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 10 mg
- Sodium 157 mg
- Carbohydrates 23 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 8 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
– from the book, “The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition” from the American Heart Association.