Serve this crunchy mixture over salad greens or in a pita pocket.
- 2 cups diced cooked skinless chicken breast, cooked without salt
- 1/2 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 medium rib of celery, diced
- 1/2 cup sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1/4 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 2 medium green onions, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pimiento, patted dry
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- In a large bowl, stir together the chicken, cucumber, celery, water chestnuts, bell pepper, green onions, pimiento and mayonnaise.
- Sprinkle with capers and paprika.
Tuna Vegetable Salad
Substitute two 5-ounce cans very low-sodium albacore tuna, packed in water, drained and flaked, for the chicken.
- Calories 122
- Total fat 4.5 g
- Saturated fat 1 g
- Trans fat 0
- Polyunsaturated fat 2 g
- Monounsaturated fat 1 g
- Cholesterol 43 mg
- Sodium 218 mg
- Carbohydrates 5 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Sugars 1 g
- Protein 15 g
Dietary exchanges: 1 vegetable, 2 lean meat
– from the book, “The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition” from the American Heart Association.