Made in a ring mold, this salad is a worthy centerpiece for a luncheon.
- 3/4 cup uncooked rice
- 1-1/2 pounds diced cooked skinless chicken breasts, cooked without salt, all visible fat discarded
- 10-ounce package frozen green peas, thawed
- 4 medium green onions, sliced
- 1 medium rib of celery, diced
- 2 tablespoons diced green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup plain rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon hot-pepper oil (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Cooking spray (if using ring mold)
- Sprigs of fresh cilantro (optional)
- Prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine. Transfer to a large bowl, and let cool to room temperature.
- Gently stir in the remaining salad ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the dressing ingredients. Pour over the salad, tossing to coat.
- If using a ring mold, lightly spray with cooking spray. Spoon the salad into the mold, packing firmly. If you prefer, leave the salad in the large bowl. Cover the mold or the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Turn the salad out onto the serving platter, garnishing it by placing the cilantro in the center. Or mound the salad on plates. Garnish with cilantro.
Another attractive way to serve this salad is to spoon it into hollowed tomatoes or bell pepper halves.
- Calories 242
- Total fat 5 g
- Saturated fat 0.5 g
- Trans fat 0
- Polyunsaturated fat 1.5 g
- Monounsaturated fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 49 mg
- Sodium 189 mg
- Carbohydrates 23 g
- Fiber 3 g
- Sugars 3 g
- Protein 23 g
Dietary Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 2-1/2 lean meat
– from the book, “The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 8th Edition” from the American Heart Association.