Serves 4 / Serving Size: 2 slices
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound ground skinless extra-lean turkey breast
- 5/6 cup no-salt-added tomato sauce, divided use
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 medium rib of celery, diced
- 1/2 medium red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup finely crushed fat-free, unsalted whole-grain crackers
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-1/2 teaspoons honey
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Lightly spray a broiler pan and rack or a roasting pan and baking rack with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, using your hands or a spoon, combine the turkey, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, the onion, celery, bell pepper, cracker crumbs, egg, vinegar, thyme, salt and pepper. Shape into a loaf about 8-1/4 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/4 inches. Transfer it onto the rack in the pan. Bake for 55 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the remaining 1/3 cup tomato sauce and the honey. Spread over the top of the turkey loaf.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the loaf is cooked through and the topping is hot. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting it into slices.
Calories 220, calories from fat 30, total fat 3 g, saturated fat 1 g, trans fat 0 g, polyunsaturated fat 1 g, monounsaturated fat 1 g, cholesterol 110 mg, sodium 260 mg, potassium 620 mg, total carbohydrate 18 g, dietary fiber 1 g, sugars 6 g, protein 30 g, phosphorus 320 mg. Exchanges: 1 carbohydrate, 4 lean meat.
– from the book, “Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook”, 2nd edition. From the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.