Servings: 6 (about 2 cups each) II Start to finish: 30 minutes II Oven: 350 F
- 2 6-inch corn tortillas
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (2 ounces)
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, peeled, and chopped
- Snipped fresh cilantro (optional).
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch wide strips; place in a 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Coat tortillas lightly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or just until crisp, stirring once. Cool on a wire rack.
- For dressing: In a small bowl, stir together sour cream, cilantro, milk, oil, garlic, chili powder, lime peel, salt and pepper.
- Place lettuce in a large glass serving bowl. Top with tomatoes, beans, corn, cheese, and avocado. Add dressing and sprinkle with tortilla strips. If desired, garnish with additional cilantro.
Nutritional facts per serving: 237 calories, 11 g total fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 386 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 9 g fiber, 11 g protein. Exchanges: 1 starch, .5 lean meat, 1.5 vegetable, 2 fat. Carb choices: 2.
– from the book, “Diabetic Living, Quick and Easy Meals.” From the test kitchens of the “Better Homes and Gardens”.