Servings: 8 (1-1/2 cups each) II Start to finish: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces extra-lean ground beef
- 8 ounces ground turkey breast
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, coarsely shredded
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2, 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon snipped fresh sage or 1 teaspoon dried sage, crushed
- 2 teaspoons snipped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1 teaspoon snipped fresh rosemary or 1/2 dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 medium potatoes, chopped (2 cups)
- Fresh sage (optional)
In a Dutch oven, combine beef, turkey, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic; cook over medium-high heat until meat is brown and onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir broth, undrained tomatoes, fresh or dried sage, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper into beef mixture in Dutch oven. Bring to boiling; stir in potatoes. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. If desired, garnish with additional sage.
Nutritional facts per serving: 140 calories, 2 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 631 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 16 g protein. Exchanges: 1 starch, 1.5 lean meat, 1 vegetable. Carb choices: 1.
– from the book, “Diabetic Living, Quick and Easy Meals.” From the test kitchens of the “Better Homes and Gardens”.