Servings: 6 (1-1/3 cups each) II Start to finish: 30 minutes
- 12 ounces bulk turkey sausage
- 8 ounces presliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-3/4 cups lower-sodium beef stock
- 1/2 cup light beer or nonalcoholic beer
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup small broccoli florets
- 2 cups shredded green cabbage
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook sausage, mushrooms, onion, and celery over medium heat until sausage is browned, stirring to break up sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat.
- Add caraway seeds and pepper to sausage mixture in Dutch oven. Add stock and beer; bring to boiling. Add potatoes. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add broccoli. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes more or until potatoes and broccoli are tender.
- Stir cabbage and milk into sausage-broccoli mixture. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes, or just until cabbage is tender and soup is heated through.
Nutrtition facts per serving: 179 calories, 5 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 44 mg cholesterol, 522 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 17 g protein. Exchanges: 1 starch, 2 lean meat, 1 vegetable. Carb choices: 1.
– from the book, “Diabetic Living, Quick and Easy Meals.” From the test kitchens of the “Better Homes and Gardens”.