Servings: 4 (1-1/4 cups each) II Start to finish: 20 minutes
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 cups chopped bok choy
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
- 2 ounces somen noodles, broken into 2-inch lengths, or 2 ounces fine dried noodles
- 1-1/2 cups chopped cooked chicken breast (about 8 ounces)
In a large saucepan, combine water, broth, green onions, soy sauce, garlic, five-spice powder, and ginger. Bring to boiling. Stir in bok choy, sweet pepper strips and somen. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Boil gently for 3 to 5 minutes or until noodles are just tender. Stir in cooked chicken. Heat through.
Nutritional facts per serving: 181 calories, 4 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 51 mg cholesterol, 556 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 20 g protein. Exchanges: .5 starch, 2 very lean meat, 1.5 vegetable. Carb choices: 1.
– from the book, “Diabetic Living, Quick and Easy Meals.” From the test kitchens of the “Better Homes and Gardens”.