Flavorful chicken legs are smothered in a Louisiana-style mixture of tomatoes, okra, onion, and bell pepper, and spiced up with hot-pepper sauce. Serve them in shallow soup bowls so you can easily spoon up all the great-tasting sauce, or spoon them into a bed of fluffy brown rice.
Serves 4 / Serving size: 2 drumsticks and 1 cup vegetable mixture
- 8 skinless chicken drumsticks with bone, all visible fat discarded (about 2 pounds)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 14.5 ounce can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 10 ounce fresh or frozen cut okra, cut into 1/2-inch slices if fresh
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon red hot-pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Lightly spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for about 4 minutes, or until browned on all sides, turning frequently (the chicken won’t be done at this point). Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pot, cook the onion and bell pepper for 3 minutes, or until the edges are beginning to lightly brown, stirring frequently and scraping to dislodge any brown bits.
- Gently stir in the chicken with any accumulated juices. Stir in the remaining ingredients except the salt. Bring to a boil, still over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 40 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the okra is very tender. Remove from the heat.
- Transfer the chicken to soup bowls. Stir the salt into the tomato mixture. Pour over the chicken.
Calories: 330, calories from fat 60, total fat 7 g (saturated fat 1.5 g, trans fat 0 g, polyunsaturated fat 1 g, monounsaturated fat 2 g), cholesterol 150 mg, sodium 300 mg, potassium 1400 mg, total carbohydrate 17 g, dietary fiber 4 g, sugars 10 g, protein 51 g, phosphorous 560 mg. Exchanges: 3 vegetable, 6 lean meat.
– from the book, “Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook”, 2nd edition. From the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association.