Servings: 6 (1 drumstick, 1 thigh, 3/4 cup sauce, and 1/2 cup rice each) II Prep: 25 minutes II Cook: 5 to 6 hours (low) or 2-1/2 to 3 hours (high)
- 1 medium sweet onion, cut into wedges
- 3 pounds chicken drumsticks and/or thighs, skin removed
- 1 medium green sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup currants or golden raisins
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons quick cooking tapioca, crushed
- 2 to 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 cups hot cooked brown rice
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted
- In a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker, place onion, chicken, sweet peppers, currants and garlic. In a large bowl, combine undrained tomatoes, tapioca, curry powder, salt, cumin, and mace. Pour over all.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours.
- Serve chicken mixture over hot cooked rice. Sprinkle with green onion and almonds. If desired, serve with steamed kale.
Nutrition facts per serving: 298 calories, 6 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 98 mg cholesterol, 619 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 30 g protein. Exchanges: 1.5 starch, 3.5 lean meat, 1 vegetable. Carb choices: 2.
– from the book, “Diabetic Living, Quick and Easy Meals.” From the test kitchens of the “Better Homes and Gardens”.