Servings: 4 (1 sandwich each) II Start to finish: 30 minutes
- 1 cup canned sauerkraut
- 8 very thin slices firm-texture whole wheat bread
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 12 ounces sliced cooked chicken breast
- 1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
- 4 thin slices Swiss cheese (2 to 3 ounces total)
- Place sauerkraut in a colander and rinse with cold water. Drain well, using a spoon to press out excess liquid. Set aside.
- Lightly coat one side of each bread slice with nonstick cooking spray. Place 4 bread slices, coated sides down, on a work surface. Top with sauerkraut, chicken, apple slices, and cheese. Top with remaining 4 bread slices, coated side up.
- Coat an unheated grill pan or large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes. Add sandwiches in batches if necessary. Place a heavy skillet atop sandwiches. Cook over medium-low heat for 6 to 8 minutes, or until bottoms are toasted. Using hot pads, carefully remove top skillet. Turn sandwiches and top again with skillet. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes more or until bottoms are toasted.
Nutrition facts per serving: 290 calories, 8 g total fat (4 g saturated fat), 85 mg cholesterol, 464 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 33 g protein. Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 lean meat, 1 fat. Carb choices: 1.
– from the book, “Diabetic Living, Quick and Easy Meals.” From the test kitchens of the “Better Homes and Gardens”.