Servings: 6 (about 1-1/2 cups each) II Prep: 20 minutes II Cook: 4 to 5 hours (low) or 2 to 2-1/2 hours (high)
- 2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon fajita seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 14-ounce cans no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 16-ounce package frozen sweet peppers, (yellow, green, and red) and onions stir-fry vegetables
- 15-ounce can cannellini beans (white kidney beans), rinsed and drained
- 3 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese (optional)
- In a medium bowl, combine chicken, chili powder, fajita seasoning, cumin and garlic; toss to coat. Coat an unheated large skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken, half at a time, in hot skillet until browned on all sides, stirring occasionally.
- Place chicken in a 3-1/2 or 4-quart slow cooker. Add undrained tomatoes, frozen vegetables, and cannellini beans. Cover and cook over low heat setting for 4 to 5 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 to 2-1/2 hours.
- If desired, top individual servings with shredded cheese.
Nutrition facts per serving: 261 calories, 2 g total fat (1 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 294 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 41 g protein. Exchanges: 1 starch, 4 lean meat, 1.5 vegetable. Carb choices: 1.5.
– from the book, “Diabetic Living, Quick and Easy Meals.” From the test kitchens of the “Better Homes and Gardens”.