Large, thin and crisp wafer-like crackers are low in calories and a great accompaniment to this flavorful salad. Look for them near the deli cheese case, gourmet foods aisle or snacks section of your supermarket.
6 servings II Prep time: 25 minutes II Chill 1 hour
- 3 cups uncooked rotelle pasta (8 ounces)
- Honey-Lime Dressing (below)
- 1 package (8 ounces) refrigerated flake-style imitation crab meat
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin bite-sized strips
- 1 medium mango, peeled, seeded and cubes (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 to 1 jalapeno chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Cook and drain pasta as directed on package. Rinse with cold water, drain.
- Meanwhile, make Honey-Lime Dressing.
- Gently toss pasta and remaining ingredients in large bowl. Pour dressing over salad; toss gently to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 1 hour to blend flavors.
- 1 teaspoon grated lime peel
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons canola or soybean oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Mix all ingredients in small bowl until well blended.
1 serving: Calories 270, (calories from fat 55), fat 6g, saturated fat 1g, (2% of calories from saturated fat), trans fat 0g, cholesterol 10mg, omega-3 0g, sodium 430mg
Carbohydrate 43g (dietary fiber 3g), protein 11g
% Daily value: Vitamin A 28%, vitamin C 82%, calcium 2%, iron 10%, folic acid 22%
Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 very lean meat, 1/2 fat-free
Carbohydrate choices: 3
– from the book, “Betty Crocker, Healthy Heart Cookbook”, by Roger S. Blumenthal M.D., F.A.C.C. Professor of Medicine, Director, the Johns Hopkins Ciccarone Center for the Prevention of Heart Disease and by Juli Hermanson, M.P.H., R.D. Bell institute of Health and Nutrition