This entree soup has all the creaminess you expect, but with less saturated fat and sodium. Serve it with a crusty whole-grain roll.
- 2-1/2 cups fat-free,low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 ounces chopped broccoli or 10 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, thawed
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium rib of celery, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- 3 slices (about 3/4 ounce each) low-fat sharp Cheddar cheese, torn into pieces, or 1/2 cup shredded low-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, stir together the broth, broccoli, carrot, celery, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 6 to 8 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour the flour in a small bowl. Pour in the half-and-half, whisking until smooth. Whisk the mixture into the soup. Simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the soup is thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Add the Cheddar. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the soup until the Cheddar is melted.
- Calories: 119
- Total fat: 1.5g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Trans fat: 0g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Cholesterol: 3mg
- Sodium: 375mg
- Carbohydrates: 18g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugars: 6g
- Protein: 11g
- 1 starch
- 1 vegetable
- 1 lean meat
– from the book, “Healthy Fats, Low-Cholesterol Cookbook,” from the American Heart Association.