- Serves: 4 complete meals; 1-1/2 cups per serving
- Costs: Approximately $2.75 per serving
- 1-1/2 cups elbow macaroni (measured dry)
- 1 stalk celery (about 1/3 cup), diced
- 1 small zucchini, ends discarded (about 3/4 cup), medium-diced, (optional)
- Canola or coconut oil as needed
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, (about 3/4 cup), diced
- 3 cloves garlic, (about 1 tablespoon), minced
- 454 grams/1 pound extra lean ground chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered onion salt
- 284 ml/10 ounce can of condensed tomato soup
- 2/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, or 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
Cook the macaroni in salted boiling water. Cook, according to package directions, or until al dente. Drain, then set aside.
Meanwhile, saute the celery and zucchini in oil in a large, deep skillet. Cook over a moderate heat for 5 minutes, or until the zucchini begins to brown. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, or until the onion becomes translucent.
Add the ground chicken to the vegetables. Break the chicken up small as you cook it. Season with salt, black pepper and onion salt. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, or until all of the chicken is no longer pink. Drain any pan juices.
Stir the tomato soup, water, ketchup and macaroni with the chicken and vegetables. Simmer, covered, over medium-low heat, for 12 to 15 minutes. Stir periodically. Toss with parsley.
Calories per serving: 362; fat: 15 g
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen