Apples, pears, and raisins are poached in apple juice, flavored with cinnamon and vanilla, for this simple dessert.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 medium Red Delicious apple
- 1 pear
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Wash, quarter, and core apple and pear. Cut into 3/4-inch pieces. Place fruit in saucepan. Add raisins, apple juice, and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil over high heat, lower heat to medium-high, cover, and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring once. Remove fruit with a slotted spoon to 2 dessert bowls. Raise heat and reduce liquid for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick and discard. Stir in vanilla and spoon over fruit. Cool slightly before serving. It can also be served cold.
Per serving: 152 calories (4 percent from fat), 0.7g fat, (0.1g saturated, 0g monounsaturated), 0mg cholesterol, 0.8g protein, 37.6g carbohydrates, 4.6g fiber, 5 mg sodium
– from the cookbook, “Prevention’s Fit and Fast Meals in Minutes,” by Linda Gassenheimer, in co-operation with Prevention Magazine.