Cooking these fruit-filled apples in the microwave oven saves time without sacrificing a bit of flavor – and provides a delicious, warm, low-fat dessert in the middle of winter.
Active time: 10 minutes II Total time: 20 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
- 4 large Golden Delicious apples (8 ounces each)
- 1/4 cup pitted prunes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch salt
- Core apples, cutting 1 1/4-inch-diameter cylinder in center of each, almost but not all the way through to the bottom. Place apples in 8-inch square glass baking dish or shallow 1 1/2-quart microwave-safe casserole dish.
- In small bowl, combine prunes, raisins, brown sugar, butter, cinnamon and salt. Cill each cored apple with equal amounts of prune mixture.
- Cook apples, covered, in microwave oven over High heat about 8 minutes, until tender. Spoon any juices from baking dish over apples before serving.
Each serving: About 185 calories, 1g protien, 44g carbohydrate, 3g total fat (0g saturated fat), 6g fiber, 0mg cholesterol, 65mg sodium
– from the book, “400 Heart Healthy Recipes and Tips”, in association with Good Housekeeping