- Serves: 4 complete meals
- Approximate costs: $3.50 per serving
- 8 slices Canadian peameal bacon
- 398 ml/14 ounce can of brown beans in tomato sauce
- 8 large eggs
- Canola oil as needed
- 1 medium-sized tomato, sliced into cubes
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled, and sliced into cubes
- 2 cups iceberg or leafy green lettuce, chopped
- Fat-free French or Thousand Island salad dressing
- 4 to 8 slices multigrain bread
- soft margarine
- peanut butter
- jam sweetened with sucralose (sugar substitute)
Bring the salad ingredients together in a medium-sized salad bowl. Refrigerate.
Fry the peameal bacon in oil. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the fat.
Put the beans in the microwave for 1 minute, or until heated through.
Toast the bread. Spread with margarine, and then serve with peanut butter and jam at the table.
Fry the eggs as preferred.
Serve the salad, bacon, beans, eggs and toast separately. Let everyone dig in and help themselves.
Food writer: Ralph Cashen; this is my father’s recipe.