Makes 12 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cans (14-ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 small eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 container (16 ounces) light silken tofu, drained
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) grated Parmesan cheese
- 9 no-boil lasagna noodles
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and the Italian seasoning and cook for 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes and tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the flavors are blended, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. Add the eggplant, coat it with cooking spray, and sprinkle it with salt. Roast, turning occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until browned.
- In a food processor, combine the tofu, eggs and Parmesan and puree until smooth.
- Coat a 13” by 9” baking dish with cooking spray. Spread 1 cup sauce in the dish and arrange 3 lasagna noodles, followed by half of the eggplant. Top with 1-1/2 cups sauce and 1/2 cup mozzarella. Repeat with another layer, then top with the remaining noodles, sauce and mozzarella.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour. Remove the foil and bake until heated through, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly before serving.
Nutrition info: 229 calories, 16 g protein, 10 g total fat, 4 g saturated fat, 51 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 19 g carbohydrates, 852 mg sodium
2 Day Diabetes Diet exchanges: 1-1/2 vegetable, 1/4 starch, 1-1/2 ounce protein, 2 fat
– from the cookbook, “2 Day Diabetes Diet” by, Erin Palinski-Wade, RD, CDE; with the editors of Reader’s Digest