Instead of the wide egg noodles, you could use a couple of handfuls of Italian dumpling noodles or any soup noodle you like.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 bay leaves, fresh or dried
- Salt and pepper
- 8 cups pork stock or good-quality chicken stock
- 1 pound chicken breast tenders, diced
- 1/2 pound wide egg noodles
- A handful of fresh parsley, chopped
Place a large pot over medium heat and add the EVOO. Add the carrots, parsnip, onion, and celery as you chop them. Add the bay leaves and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the stock to the pot, increase the heat, and bring to a boil.
Add the chicken, return the soup to a boil, and reduce the heat to medium and cook the chicken 2 minutes. Add the noodles and cook until they’re tender. Stir in the parsley; remove the bay leaves, and serve.
– from the book, “My Year in Meals”, by Rachael Ray