Caesar salad is usually made with dark green romaine lettuce. Dark salad greens are rich in folic acid, a nutrient that is essential for pregnant mothers, but also important for everybody’s heart health.
For 1 serving:
- 2 cups dark salad greens, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2 tablespoons shredded fresh parmesan cheese or 1 tablespoon grated dried parmesan
- 1/4 cup croutons
- Squirt of fresh lemon juice (optional)
- Fat-free Caesar salad dressing
- Combine greens, cheese, croutons and lemon juice.
- Top with Caesar salad dressing.
- Calories 88
- Carbohydrate 9 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Protein 6 g
- Fat, total 3 g
- Fat, saturated 2 g
- Cholesterol 7 mg
- Sodium 231 mg
– from the cookbook, “Diabetes Meals for Good Health,” by Karen Graham, RD, Certified Diabetes Educator