This flavorful and colorful salad includes corn, beans and chicken, and is inspired by Mexican-American cuisine. It is served with tortilla chips.
Makes 4 servings
- 12-oz (341 ml) can of corn
- 19-oz (540 ml) can of black beans, rinsed in cold water and drained well
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- 2 to 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, cut into thin 1-inch (2.5 cm) slices
- 1/2 head of lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded or grated cheese
- 3 tablespoons light coleslaw dressing
- 10-oz. (300 g) chicken breasts or thighs, boneless, skin removed, sliced into thin pieces
- 2 tablespoons hickory smoke barbecue sauce
- In a large bowl, gently toss corn, black beans, cilantro, green onions, red pepper, lettuce and cheese. Mix in the coleslaw dressing. Divide salad onto four dinner plates (or large salad bowls).
- Over medium heat, cook the chicken pieces in a nonstick pan with about 2 tablespoons water. When the chicken is no longer pink inside, add the barbecue sauce. Reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Divide the chicken between the four plates, placing on top of the salad.
- Calories 348
- Carbohydrate 43 g
- Fiber 9 g
- Protein 29 g
- Fat, total 8 g
- Fat, saturated 4 g
- Cholesterol 60 mg
- Sodium 860 mg
– from the cookbook, “Diabetes Meals for Good Health,” by Karen Graham, RD, Certified Diabetes Educator