Leftovers freeze well. Perfect for impromptu spaghetti dinners.
Serves 20/ Serving size: 1 meatball
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup finely gratecd Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup Italian style bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup low-sodium beef broth or red wine
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Use a convection over if you have it.
- Place all of the ingredients except for the beef in a large bowl. Mix well. Add the beef and gently mix. Roll into desired size meatballs. (If the mixture doesn’t hold together, add 1/4 cup additional bread crumbs.)
- Place the meatballs on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 12 to 15 minutes to brown the outside.
- Add to your favourite sauce or freeze until needed.
- Calories 85
- Calories from fat 25
- Total fat 3 g
- Trans fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 45 mg
- Sodium 150 mg
- Potassium 175 mg
- Total carbohydrate 3 g
- Dietary fiber 0 g
- Sugars 0 g
- Protein 11 g
- Phosphorous 105 mg
Exchanges/Choices: 2 lean meat
– from the cookbook, “The Stress Free Diabetes Kitchen,” by Barbara Seelig-Brown