Whether you’re at home or in a restaurant, you may want to have a salad with a bun and soup for lunch.
Makes 2 servings
- 2 cups chopped lettuce
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- Other vegetables, such as onions, green peppers, celery, radishes or carrots
- 1 apple, sliced
- 2 slices (2 oz/60 g) sliced chicken, meat, or cheese, or fish
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons low-fat croutons
- Thousand island salad dressing, or (see recipe for Citrus Vinaigrette below)
- Toss vegetables and apple. Place the meat or cheese and egg on top. Add croutons.
- Calories 243
- Carbohydrate 21 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Protein 13 g
- Fat, total 13 g
- Fat, saturated 6 g
- Cholesterol 208 mg
- Sodium 229 mg
In a large jar (at least 16 oz/500 ml), combine 1/2 cup orange juuice, 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup vinegar, 2 tablespoons honey. 2 tablespoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a dash of hot pepper sauce (optional).
Shake well and store in the refrigerator for up to 7 days. Makes 1-1/2 cups.
– from the cookbook, “Diabetes Meals for Good Health,” by Karen Graham, RD, Certified Diabetes Educator