Bumbleberry is a favourite fruit filling that is a mixture of several berries and may also include apple or rhubarb, if you wish.
Makes 6 servings
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 bag (20 oz/600 g) assorted frozen berries
- 1/2 cup large flake rolled oats
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch and orange zest.
- Place berries in a large bowl. Sprinkle sugar mixture over fruit and toss lightly. Divide fruit evenly among ramekins and place ramekins on baking sheet.
- In a bowl, combine oats, oat bran, flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Pour in butter and toss to combine. Sprinkle evenly over fruit.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until the fruit is bubbly and topping is golden. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition info per serving:
- Calories 190
- Carbohydrate 38 g
- Fiber 5 g
- Protein 3 g
- Fat 5 g
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Cholesterol 10 mg
- Sodium 31 mg
Food choices: 2 carbohydrate, 1 fat
– from the cookbook, “The Diabetes Prevention and Management Cookbook,” by Johanna Burkhard and Barbara Allan, RD, CDE. Published in cooperation with the Canadian Diabetes Association.