- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 tablespoon harissa chile paste
- 14 ounce can chickpeas, drained with a tablespoon of the water retained
- 3/4 lb cooked chicken, cut into strips
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and cook the onion over medium heat until golden, about 10 minutes. Add the eggplant, ground coriander, and ground cumin, stir, and cook for 6 to 7 minutes until the eggplant is well colored.
- Stir in the tomato paste and harissa, then the chickpeas with a litle of their water to loosen the mixture. Add the chicken and warm through, the adjust the seasoning to taste. Transfer to a bowl and scatter with mint and pomegranate seeds.
Energy 293 cals, protein 31.4g, fat 12.3g, saturated fat 2.7g, carbohydrate 15.1g, total sugars 4g, fiber 4.3g, salt 0.58g, sodium 227 mg
– from the cookbook, “The Essential Diabetes Cookbook, Good Healthy Eating Around the World,” by Antony Worrall Thompson, with Louise Blair BSc.