Pork and apples are a perfect pairing.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 medium apple, chopped with skin
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning or Italian seasoning blend
- 1 16-ounce bag bread cubes for stuffing
- 2-4 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 2-1/2 to 3 pounds pork tenderloin
- Thin film the bottom of a pan with olive oil. Saute onion, celery and apple. Add seasoning. Saute until fragrant. Add bread cubes and 2 cups stock. Toss well. (If moister stuffing is desired, add additional stock.) Place in shallow dish and cool before stuffing.
- Preheat oven to 400 F for conventional oven or 375 F for convection oven.
- Butterfly pork tenderloin. Spread with stuffing and tie. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Roast pork tenderloin for 30 minutes. Test for doneness. A meat thermometer should read 165 F.
- Calories 325
- Calories from fat 55
- Total fat 6 g
- Saturated fat 1.3 g
- Trans fat 0
- Cholesterol 60 mg
- Sodium 720 mg
- Potassium 585 mg
- Total carbohydrate 39 g
- Dietary fiber 3 g
- Sugars 5 g
- Protein 28 g
- Phosphorous 275 mg
- 2-1/2 starch, 3 lean meat
– from the cookboook, “The Stress Free Diabetes Kitchen,” by Barbara Seelig-Brown