This dish has a nice combination of flavors from the spice-rubbed grilled chicken and the sweet salsa with a touch of heat from the hot sauce. Peaches, nectarines, or pineapple can be used in place of the plums to make the salsa.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 chicken breast half and 1/4 cup salsa)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 (4-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped ripe plums (about 2 plums)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
To prepare chicken, combine the first 4 ingredients. Rub chicken with brown sugar mixture.
Heat the oil in a grill pan or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add chicken; cook 6 minutes on each side or until done.
While the chicken is cooking, combine remaining ingredients in a bowl. Serve with chicken.
Amount per serving