In this healthy fried rice recipe, bell peppers, mango and basil are tossed with savory fish sauce and fresh basil for a delicious one-bowl dinner. If you don’t have leftover cooked rice on hand, be sure to thoroughly cool your rice before adding it to the wok—if it’s too warm, it creates too much steam and sticks to the wok. To quickly cool warm rice, spread out on a large baking sheet and refrigerate while you prep the rest of your ingredients, about 15 minutes.
4 servings II Active Time: 35 minutes II Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 teaspoon peanut or canola oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 pound strip steak, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced green bell pepper
- 2 cups cold cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup diced ripe but firm mango
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons slivered fresh basil
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large flat-bottomed carbon-steel wok or large, heavy skillet over high heat. Add eggs and cook, without stirring, until fully cooked on one side, about 30 seconds. Flip and cook until just cooked through, about 15 seconds. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Add 1 tablespoon oil to the wok along with scallions, ginger and garlic; cook, stirring, until scallions have softened, about 30 seconds. Add steak and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add red and green bell peppers; cook, stirring, until just tender, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the contents of the wok to a large plate.
- Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the wok; add rice and stir until hot, 1 to 2 minutes. As you stir, pull the rice from the bottom to the top so it all gets coated with oil and evenly cooked.
- Return the steak, vegetables and eggs to the wok; add mango, lime juice, fish sauce and basil and stir until well combined.
Per serving: 417 Calories; 17 g Fat; 4 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 154 mg Cholesterol; 36 g Carbohydrates; 30 g Protein; 4 g Fiber; 694 mg Sodium; 613 mg Potassium
2 1/2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1/2 medium fat meat, 1 1/2 fat