Arroz con pollo, or chicken cooked with rice, is a common dish in Spain, Latin America and the Caribbean. We use quick-cooking brown rice here to help you get this on the table in just 40 minutes. Serve with a mixed green salad tossed with cilantro-lime vinaigrette.
4 servings, 2 pieces & 3/4 cup rice each II Active Time: 40 minutes II Total Time: 40 minutes
- 2 1/2 pounds bone-in chicken thighs and/or drumsticks (about 8 pieces), skin removed, trimmed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup instant brown rice
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add half the chicken pieces, skinned-side down. Cook until browned on one side, 4 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken; transfer to the plate.
- Add onion, garlic and tomato sauce to the pot and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add broth and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt; bring to a boil. Stir in rice, return the chicken to the pot, cover and simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the chicken registers 165°F, 8 minutes. Stir in vegetables, cover and cook until heated through, about 2 minutes. Serve the chicken over the rice.
Per serving : 378 Calories; 16 g Fat; 3 g Sat; 7 g Mono; 87 mg Cholesterol; 27 g Carbohydrates; 31 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 735 mg Sodium; 506 mg Potassium
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat