What makes these quesadillas so easy to prepare? You quickly cook a few ingredients, assemble the quesadilla and bake them. If you wish you can put a dollop of salsa on top. All that’s left is to enjoy!
Serves 6; 2 wedges per serving II Preparation time: 6 to 8 minutes II Cooking time: 10 to 12 minutes
- Cooking spray
- 8 ounces presliced button mushrooms (about 2-1/2 cups)
- 1/2 medium onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic or 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons snipped fresh cilantro
- 3, 8-inch fat-free whole-wheat flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons shredded low-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeno or low-fat Cheddar cheese
Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Lightly spray a large skillet with cooking spray. Cook the mushrooms, onion and garlic over medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring occasionally. Stir in the cilantro. Remove from the heat.
- Spread the mushroom mixture on half of each tortilla. Sprinkle the Monterey Jack over the mushroom mixture. Fold the plain half of each tortilla over the filling. Transfer to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until the filling is hot and the cheese is melted. Cut each quesadilla into 4 wedges. Serve warm.
Per serving: Calories 100, total fat 2.5g, saturated fat 1g, trans fat 0g, monounsaturated fat 0.5g, cholesterol 5mg, sodium 212mg, carbohydrate 15g, fiber 2g, sugars 3g, protein 5g, Dietary exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat
– from the book, “Quick & Easy Cookbook”, by the American Heart Association