Just like their namesake sundae, these dressed up cereal treats are topped with melted chocolate and salted, Spanish peanuts. Indulge for just 135 calories and two grams of saturated fat per bar.
Total time: 20 minutes plus chilling II Makes 16 bars
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 24 large marshmallows
- 4 cups puffed rice cereal
- 2/3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons roasted, salted Spanish peanuts, chopped
- Line bottom of 8-inch square baking pan with foil; spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In microwave safe 4-quart bowl, combine peanut butter and marshmallows. Cover bowl with vented plastic wrap and cook in microwave on High for 1 minute, until melted. With rubber spatula, quickly stir in puffed rice until evenly coated. Evenly pan puffed rice mixture into prepared baking pan.
- In microwave-safe cup, heat chocolate in microwave on High, 35 to 45 seconds or until soft; stir until smooth. With offset spatula, spread melted chocolate on top of puffed rice mixture. Sprinkle with peanuts; gently press so nuts adhere to chocolate.
- Refrigerate until chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Lift foil, with pastry, out of pan; peel foil away from sides. Cut lengthwise into 4 strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 4 pieces. With small metal spatula, separate treats. Refrigerate in airtight container for up to 1 week.
Each bar: About 135 calories, 3g protein; 18g carbohydrate; 7g total fat, (2g saturated fat), 1g fibre; 0mg cholesterol; 51mg sodium
– from the Good Housekeeping book, “400 Heart Healthy Recipes and Tips”.