Cantaloupe and flavoured yogurt set this chicken salad apart from the others.
Serves 4; 1-1/4 cups per serving II Preparation time: 15 to 20 minutes II Cooking time: 7 minutes
- 12 ounce boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders, all visible fat discarded
- 1 large or 2 small cantaloupes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 medium ribs of celery, sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 1/4 cup fat-free peach or vanilla yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 4 large lettuce leaves, such as romaine or red leaf
- Pour water to a depth of 1 inch in a large skillet. Bring to a boil over high heat. Carefully add the chicken. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center. Drain well. Transfer to a cutting board. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss together the cantaloupe, celery and green onions.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut it into bite-size pieces. Add to the cantaloupe and mixture, tossing to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt and mayonnaise. Pour over the salad, tossing to coat. Serve immediately, or cover and refrigerate until serving time. Just before serving, spoon the salad onto the leaves.
Instead of poaching chicken and cutting cantaloupe into small pieces for this recipe, chop 2 cups of leftover chicken and buy 3 cups of chopped cantaloupe at the grocery store.
Per serving: Calories 219; Total fat 6 g; Saturated fat 1 g, Trans fat 0 g; Polyunsaturated fat 3 g; Monounsaturated fat 1.5 g; Cholesterol 6 mg; Sodium 288 mg; Carbohydrate 21 g; Fiber 3 g; Sugars 17 g; Protein 21 g; Dietary exchanges: 1-1/2 fruit, 2-1/2 very lean meat, 1/2 fat.
– from the book, “Quick and Easy Cookbook,” 2nd edition, from the American Heart Association