Serve this piquant chicken-and-vegetable stir-fry with whole-grain pasta.
Serves 4; 1 cup per serving II Preparation time: 10 minutes II Cooking time: 12 to 14 minutes
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 10 ounces frozen cut asparagus or broccoli florets, thawed and patted dry
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, all visible fat discarded, cut into bite-sized pieces
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sauce ingredients until the cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 teaspoon oil over high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the asparagus and bell pepper for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Transfer to a large plate. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil over high heat. Cook the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center, stirring constantly. Make a well in the center.
- Stir the sauce. Pour into the well in the skillet. Cook for 4 minutes, or until the sauce is thickened and bubbly, stirring constantly.
- Return the asparagus mixture to the skillet, stirring to coat.
Calories 191; Total fat 5.5g; Saturated fat 1g; Trans fat 0g; Polyunsaturated fat 1g; Monounsaturated fat 2.5g; Cholesterol 73mg; Sodium 243mg; Carbohydrate 8g; Fibre 2g; Sugars 2g; Protein 27g; Dietary exchanges: 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat
– from the book, “Quick and Easy Cookbook,” 2nd edition, from the American Heart Association