- Yields: 12 regular sized muffins
- Costs: Approximately $3.75 for the entire recipe
Cooking utensils needed: regular 12-cup muffin tin lined with paper muffin cups
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- The zest (about 1/2 teaspoon) and juice (about 1/4 cup juice) from a large orange or from 2 medium-sized oranges
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Sift the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Push any remaining granules through the sieve with the back of a spoon. Add the whole wheat flour. Mix well.
Whisk the egg in a separate medium-sized mixing bowl. Add the milk, canola oil, honey, vanilla, orange zest and juice. Mix well.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir just until all of the flour is moistened.
Fill a muffin tin lined with paper muffin cups 3/4 full.
Bake for 17 or 18 minutes, or until dark gold.
Calories: It was 150 calories per muffin re-calculate; fat: 5 grams fat per muffin
Food writer: Carolyn Cashen